Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Will Write For Food

 

Will Write For Food


 

 With my pen, I'm the boss. I'm a writer, even if I'm the only one to think I am. With my pen, I'm more powerful than Superman. I can bring the dead back to life and kill all the undesirables of the world. Or I can make my frustrations disappear and tell a thousand lies. I write to please me, but if you like what I write, that will satisfy me even more. I can have my characters act better than Pacino and Brando. I could invite Faulkner, McCarthy, and Garcia Marquez to write a few lines for you, though they wouldn't know. I can bring saints and Virgins to the page and marry them to monsters and sinners. I can turn superheroes into villains without you turning the page. I can kidnap your young wife, ask you for a million dollars, and keep both. Or rob a bank with just a note written with the same pen. I could write, and I know I could, though I'd be impressed if it was any good. I wrote I write, and I will write. I can accommodate twenty-six different letters any way I choose, like no one's ever done it before, of course, with a million mistakes in between, and most of it wouldn't make sense, but I can write. I can locate Hitler in a church and have St Francis of Assisi hunting for deer. I can make Gandhi challenge Mandela to a twenty-pace duel. I can turn Anne Frank into a Lolita if I want, though nobody would like it, not even I. How about Mother Teresa and Rigoberta Manchu? They're better than saints, but in my stories, I bet they can follow Charles Manson too. I can have the USA dominate the entire world. For that, I would only need a little effort. I can judge anyone or anything and hide behind my pen, call it fiction, and be safe. I can be handsome, young, strong, or the opposite. I can be the best with my brain and pen, but only on a page. I can imitate Jeffry Dahmer or Ted Bundy and have them kill everyone in the story, left and right, with just my pen. I can fix the entire world, cure cancer, end wars, and start new ones. I can eradicate poverty, feed the world, and replace dictators. If I use all my mental strength and all the cells in my brain, I can make the world love the USA. As hard as it seems, I can do all that with the ink in my pen. I can fight terrorism, capitalism, imperialism, atheism, and racism. I can even fill nihilism with positivism. (Oh, I love Wikipedia) I can be good and harmful, but that doesn't mean I have to be mean. I wouldn't insult anyone and always consider you more intelligent than me. My arch-rivals and nemesis are sometimes better than my heroes, but the worst enemy I know is bigger than the Great Wall of China: writer's block is the real boss; it annuls "my talent" instantly. When it hits, I feel like I'm writing with black ink on a black page in a dark cave. If you want to know writing is not that hard, what's hard is to be a good writer. I just found out anybody can write. Well, it's been a pleasure, but I must return to work. I need to feed the chickens now. Back to reality, I was on my break. I don't know who left this pen here. 


 


 


 

Edmundo Barraza

 

Lancaster, Ca. 09-11-2014

 

My heart and soul are with my friends (all of them) that died on Sept-11-2001

 

http://edbar1952-accomplishedignorant.blogspot.com



 

No comments:

Post a Comment