Loyal Friend
One lovely morning I went out to the backyard and found my dog eating my wife's favorite plant, her six-foot-tall avocado tree, still in the pot. She's been transporting it from house to house (rentals) for years, just waiting until we buy a place to plant it in the ground.
The sight of my dog destroying that little tree enraged me.
Not using my brain but brute force, I kicked him on his prominent ribs so hard I broke one of my toes. The pain I felt enraged me even more. Then, I grabbed the dog by his head, lifted him, and flung him over the neighbor's fence. I could hear him fighting with the neighbor's dog— twice his size.
When I went to claim him back, he was so happy to see me; he started licking my face and ears. Even after suffering such terrible misery, he was still my best friend.
My dog's name is Dylan (as in Bob Dylan), medium-sized skinny Husky. He's intelligent and independent, and very hyper-energetic. He thinks he owns the world. He ignores everybody and respects nothing, just like when I was younger. He's not rancorous (all the opposite of me). He eats plastic, paper, grass, bugs, and socks. I know because I pick up his crap.
By the way, his bowl of food is always full.
He has dug as many holes as I have vices and flaws, which are in the dozens, and some as big as my other dog, a Chihuahua-size female. Sometimes I have to rescue her from those holes.
I noticed some time ago that my dog was gradually losing sight. But I'm constantly broke and can't get Dylan's contact lenses yet. Meanwhile, I'll try to teach him how to use a white cane, or if things get better, I might get him a guide dog. Anyway, after I learned that he was becoming blind, I began to treat him better. I bought a new shovel to help him dig holes. Also, I'm teaching him to look both ways when he crosses the street. Now, before I kick him, I make sure I wrap a small pillow around his ribs.
I attached a buzzer to his fetching stick so he could follow the sound and find it easier. My heart melted one day when the batteries on the buzzer went dead, and he kept going until he crashed against the trash can.
I have to say that this story is fictitious. I don't want PETA or the Animal Humane Society knocking on my door. They wouldn't understand my masochistic dog and how well we get along this way. If this story were true, most people would hate me.
Now, let's talk about humans. It's a shame, but I know people that treat each other in a similar way. Not with violent blows but with hurtful words, sarcasm, irony, despise, and much worse. Some people would become resentful and would stay away for a while, but they continue to be 'friends.' Sometimes they would return only to get even. But humans are experts at faking good relations and loyalty.
We can write poems, songs, letters, and messages full of affection, but we can also be cruel and mean with words. We can hurt each other without feeling any remorse.
But a dog would never stab you in the back.
*No dogs were harmed during the process of writing this story. Maybe some egos got hurt, but who cares about that?
EDMUNDO BARRAZA
Visalia, CA. 04-06-2012
http://edbar1952-accomplishedignorant.blogspot.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment