Thursday, March 16, 2023

Authority Sucks

 

Authority Sucks


As far as I can remember, I've always felt like a rebel, like a dissident. I always question authority, the man in charge, the established system, rules, and laws. I'm one of those people that thinks there's always a better, easier, and faster way to do anything. I'm not an exceptional man in any way; I'm not smarter than anybody. I need to express my opinions. 


One should consider that authority is obstinate and perverse, manipulative and controlling, and mostly wrong. Political and religious leaders can be all that too. 


When I was an adolescent in school, and the teacher was giving the class, sometimes, if I disagreed with something, I wanted to raise my hand to give my opinion. But I remember being a little shy and afraid of stuttering or blushing. When I gathered enough guts, the teacher was talking about something else. As time went by, those situations became less frequent. I gradually gained enough courage to speak up. Now that I'm an old fart, I moved to the other extreme, and nobody can stop me. Sometimes I need to let people finish talking.


My wife and kids don't like to watch movies with me because I can't stop talking to give my opinion. I'm not arrogant, and I certainly don't feel superior to anybody, but I criticize every aspect of the movie, especially if it's a second-rate film. Sometimes I know where the storyline is going, and I would advance the plot and ruin the suspense. I love to point out mistakes in the story or dialogue. But I can't keep my mouth shut, and they hate that.


On the other hand, if I liked the movie a lot, I wouldn't stop complimenting every single detail of it. I'm the first to express my approval and admiration. Compliments and congratulations abound. Either way, I ruin the experience for the family, and then I enjoy the moment if I'm right. At the same time, I hate myself because I end up watching the movie alone. They probably see me as an arrogant asshole. But who are they to judge me, ha! 


Nobody escapes my criticism, not even God. If I can judge God, I have the right to criticize the whole world. I'm constantly evaluating and giving my opinion, even when nobody wants it. But I can't help it. 


If I were an angel in heaven, I'd confront and question God and his decisions. I'd never stop giving him advice. I would try to make a better God out of him. I always find room for improvement. Don't take me too seriously, and feel free to laugh, but if you are as dissatisfied as I am at the current state of things, I know you'd be on my side. 


Nothing's written in stone. Everything that can change will change. We should constantly challenge authority. That simple act will make us wiser. I believe in continually challenging the status quo.


You can find indifferent, conformist, and conservative people on one side. On the other side, you'll find me, along with dissidents, rebels, and nonconformists. I need another page to describe all my flaws and defects, but I'll always speak my mind and criticize everything I believe is wrong. 


And if I were a mute person, I would carry a box of pencils and a thick notebook with me, but if I couldn't talk, everybody would be much happier around me. 


If I were a mute person and couldn't speak, or if I didn't have my hands to write, then I would perform the harakiri, or I would shoot myself, but without my hands, I would need help to do it. And for that, many volunteers would show up in a second. 


But I would still say that authority sucks. 





"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

- Albert Einstein  





EDMUNDO BARRAZA

Visalia, Ca. 05-06-2012

http://edbar1952-accomplishedignorant.blogspot.com/






No comments:

Post a Comment