Most people consider that Classic Rock started in the 60s and 70s, forty or fifty years ago. During that period, there was no such thing as "classic rock", and what had been released earlier were "oldies". All music played on mainstream AM radio was known as "top 40". Many bands from that era are still relevant. Many of their members are in their seventies now. When Mick Jagger was younger, many decades ago, he said he wouldn’t be playing “Satisfaction” in his 40s. And now we know he’ll be playing it in his 80s. That’s what I call a true rebel.
Possibly the most famous decade of the twentieth century, the 60s. A radical new generation changed the entire world, tired of their preoccupied depression-era parents. Thus was born the counterculture or anti-establishment, that erupted with the Civil Rights Movement and protests against the Vietnam war. American youth were the main instigators, "the baby boom" generation. New terms were born to describe all their acts of rebellion, like, race relations, human sexuality, women's rights, drug experimentation, and of course, rock and roll was their main form of expression. They used Rock to show their in-conformity. Rock music led this generation.
But will classic rock die with its leaders? Which is the last group or
band that should be considered as classic rock? Will the Beatles still be
played in the 2060s? Should Nirvana be considered classic rock soon? Should Bob
Dylan still be recording in his nineties? How about Eric Clapton, Bruce
Springsteen, the Rolling Stones, Billy Joel and countless others? Are we going
to advance a decade in the past and a decade in the future? Is classic rock
supposed to be fifty years old forever?
If that's the case, in the near future we should expect most
concert venues to have lots of ramps for complete access for wheelchairs. And
with oxygen tanks, nurses and ambulances available for everyone, and a hospital
near by. And a lot more drugs, legal and illegal.
What we know as classical music it’s been classical music
for centuries. Is it possible that the same could happen with Classic Rock
& Roll?
Classic rock is essentially rock music originated in the 60s
and 70s, and now from the 80s too. It seems to be advancing a decade in the
past and a decade into the future.
The ten-year period from 1973 to 1982 accounts for 57% of
songs played in the radio of what we now consider classic rock. The most
frequent played artists are Led Zeppelin, Van Halen and Rolling Stones.
According to what is now playing, classic rock peaked in
1973, mainly because many great albums were released that year.
1.
Pink Floyd / The Dark Side if the Moon.
2.
Led Zeppelin / Houses of the Holy.
3.
The Who / Quadrophenia.
4.
Bruce Springsteen / The Wild, the Innocent &
the E Street Shuffle.
5.
Elton John / Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.
6.
Paul McCartney & Wings / Band on the Run.
And what about Soul, Funk and
Punk, should we consider those genres rock too? I do like those three a lot.
And what about Alternative Rock or Grunge, or Heavy Metal, will that become classic rock at some point in the future too?
And what about new bands, the bands that sound like instant classic rock, like the Black Keys? Can we include them already?
And what about Alternative Rock or Grunge, or Heavy Metal, will that become classic rock at some point in the future too?
And what about new bands, the bands that sound like instant classic rock, like the Black Keys? Can we include them already?
I love classic rock, but I don’t like most
classic rock stations. Most of them are boring, their deejays or program directors
play the same bands every day. (Foreigner, Journey, Starship, REO Speedwagon, Pat Benatar) I don't understand why they play these mediocre bands as if they were still in their prime. Enough already. Aren’t we supposed
to be accumulating new great songs every year? There's a thousand great songs they never play and a thousand bad songs they keep playing for no reason.
Nevertheless, we all have our own taste in music, and the best classic rock that exists in the world is the one you play in your own house. You know what I mean?
Nevertheless, we all have our own taste in music, and the best classic rock that exists in the world is the one you play in your own house. You know what I mean?
No one can deny that the 60s and the 70s were a great era for rock & roll. The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, The Who, Pink Floyd, WAR, ACDC, Queen, CCR, The Clash. And you can add fifty more bands of your choice.
Rock was rebellion, anarchy, disobedience, insurrection, the list of synonyms to describe rock is long too. Back then, when I went to buy records, I had to choose between five or ten albums, but I only had money to buy one.
Definitely, those years were great to be alive.
Rock was rebellion, anarchy, disobedience, insurrection, the list of synonyms to describe rock is long too. Back then, when I went to buy records, I had to choose between five or ten albums, but I only had money to buy one.
Definitely, those years were great to be alive.
Only you can decide and define what classic rock
should be. Only you can eliminate old acts and embrace new ones.
I hope they play classic rock in heaven, although hell
sounds more appropriate for it.
As for me, I want to be like a rolling stone and have an
L.A. woman by my side, but I won’t leave without a stairway to heaven or a highway to hell.
Edmundo
Barraza
Lancaster,
Ca. 09-10-2014

No comments:
Post a Comment