Life does not rhyme with death
Or love with hate
My poems with your sentiments
My words with your thoughts
My goals with your fate
My past with your future
My pain with your pleasure
My mind with yours, that's for sure.
We used to finish each other sentences
Now we hardly speak
And I still have a lot to say
But you don't want to listen
We used to be an amazing duet
Now, I'm a lonely soloist
The walls are my audience but even the echo ignores me
We used to be fair and square
Even when I was wrong, which was quite often
I'm still an optimistic fool with tons of hope
But you don't see an ounce of good in me
No, we don't rhyme anymore
Nor fire and rain, heaven or hell
You disagree with everything I approve
You disapprove all I support
We used to cry in unison for the same reasons
Now you enjoy when I suffer
Now we hardly breathe at the same time
You used to catch me before I hit the floor
Now you push me without remorse
No, we don't rhyme anymore, but the worst crime
It's the immensity of space between us
Even when we are side by side
When we walked for hours hand in hand
You used to curse the air between our fingers.
We used to love the same songs
Music flowed from your ears to mine
I didn't have any flaws, according to you
Now you mention often, I have too many
I used to be your hero, your idol, your everything
Now you hardly notice I exist
But tell me, what went wrong?
Did I stop trying? Did you stop caring?
I remember I could feel, taste and see your love
Where did it go? How did you lose it.
Did you give it to someone else?
Is there any chance you can get it back?
Should I wait?
I'm afraid it's too late.
The love I was sharing with you, will be all for me now
I'll accumulate it in my heart, 'cause eventually,
I'll find someone else to give my poems to.
Because you and I . . . don't rhyme anymore.
Edmundo Barraza
Visalia, CA. 07-01-2012
http://edbar1952-accomplishedignorant.blogspot.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment