Thursday, February 14, 2013

Drunk Writers




A disproportionate number of great writers have been known to be voracious consumers of alcohol, that’s a well known fact. 

I finally found something I have in common with great writers. Now, if I could only learn to write properly, or at least decently. I wonder if these excellent authors were writers first, and then alcoholics or vice-versa. I would also like to find out if their writing turned them into alcoholics, or if the alcohol turned them into writers. 

In my case, I started early, (to drink, not to write) I started to drink when I was fifteen or sixteen, about four decades ago. They say that alcohol kills brain cells by the millions. In my opinion, they don’t, but if I ask my friends and family, they would say that I don’t notice anything anymore, anyhow, anyway. 

We all know that most artists, rockers and singer-songwriters use an infinitesimal amount of recreational drugs and alcohol to create, recreate and enhance their creative minds.

All of us who drink, know for a fact that they put some amazing elixir inside alcohol.
Sometimes geniuses and booze are good partners; they clap and dance to perfection, and they get along gloriously.

You have to admit that this list is very impressive, even though I must have missed a few of them, I have no doubt.

·        Hunter S. Thompson
·        Raymond Chandler
·        John Cheever
·        O. Henry
·        Tennessee Williams
·        Dylan Thomas
·        Dorothy Parker
·        Edgar Allen Poe
·        Truman Capote
·        Jack Kerouac
·        William Faulkner
·        Charles Bukowski
·        F. Scott Fitzgerald
·        James Joyce
·        Ernest Hemingway 
   

These guys were so smart, alcohol couldn’t diminish their intellect. Obviously, this was true in their cases. I bet most of these writers went to college to learn how to write (and how to drink too.) You can almost smell the whiskey when you read their books.

    We know that alcoholism and intelligence can be inherited, so if you drink, you’d better be smart too because after all, you want to compensate. For each vice, you should also have a virtue. 

I just wish I could be a drunk with a good temper, a quiet drunk, a happy drunk. 

To wish to be a good writer, it’s just asking too much. I can only aspire to be compared to them to their alcohol intake. Although I’m sure they would beat me easily in that category too.

Whatever works for you, but you have to keep one thing in mind, readers are getting smarter, and more demanding too.

In the meantime . . . Cheers to my heroes. Drink up!

*I'm so drunk, I won't be able to edit this thing. So, please, add more writers to the list and revise the whole thing for me.


Edmundo Barraza
Lancaster, Ca. 2-13-2013






2 comments:

  1. Stopped by from Stumbleupon to check out your blog. Funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Vashti. I'll check your blog too for sure.

    ReplyDelete